Thursday, September 15, 2005

Naruto

Since Skaffen went to Japan and brought back rad manga and I started downloading manga in earnest, all anyone talks about on those sites and forums is Naturo. All I knew until a few days ago is that it's about ninjas. I got down a huge torrent of scanlated manga some time ago, finally got around to checking it out a few days back, and oops I'm hopelessly addicted. It has the charm of Battle Angel Alita (nearly) and the radness of Ninja Scroll, but the ninjas have radder powers. Like insanely cool powers. There's great characters, bad guys, it's like Jojo - another great manga, in that the story involves rad bad guys with sick powers and cool underdog heroes to barrack for.


GIFT FOR SKAFFEN
- a link to page with torrent for first 25 episodes of naruto formatted for PSP jap audio eng subs.

The manga is unreal, I'm yet to see the anime. Apparently the subbed anime is rad, but the dubbed version, which just started on Cartoon Network in the US, and I am downloading the first episode, is not so great, though they say it's not as bad as the dubbed version of One Piece. I dont mind One Piece dubbed, the art is so cool it doesnt matter, and sometimes it's nive to watch dubbed anime and not have to read at the speed of sound, you can just kick back and enjoy it.

4 Comments:

Blogger skaffen said...

Demonoid wont let me create a fucking account, bastards!

8:15 pm  
Blogger eightball said...

I'm useless at anime, I've seen Akira & Ninja Scroll & thats about it.

But I work with nerds & I can tell you the Naruto series is meant to be awesome, Glen at DF woudlnt' shut up about it a couple of years back, if you have the time, nab it

I don't think you'll regret it

8:16 pm  
Blogger stompbox said...

Skaffen I will try to email you the torrent, will that work? I cant access it right now, Im at work and demonoid is blocked.

Naturo has cute kids as the main characters, and through their ascent into ninjaness we get to see the rad dudes they encounter as they get their first ninja mission and shit. It's the fights etc which really make it. The character design and everything is really nifty, I hope it translates ok into the anime. I hate it when anime adaptations lose that edge they have in the manga, but I guess that's to be expected, the studios have to pump this shit out to make money.

Basilisk is my favourite ninja manga, it's a lot darker with evil ninja clans with characters which are kind of people but part monster. They are all really cool with great ideas and heaps of cool attacks and abilities - like the things that make Naturo cool but Naturo has the cute side story of his interaction with the other little ninjas, competing, there's a chick, etc. Basilisk is more mature, like ninja scroll but with evil sluts, satanically evil bad guys and a darker feel. The only anime I have been able to download of Basilisk was turkish fan subbed, which is a pain in the ass but OK if you've read the manga and already know whats going on. That said the art in the manga is a big selling point, and of course the anime doesnt really measure up in that department, so as far as Basilisk goes get the manga, and the anime only if you can get it english subbed. The manga is a MUST SEE 8ball I'll show you. The anime is recommended if you're stuck for a selection at a video store, but otherwise dont go out of your way.

I started watching GITS SAC earlier today, obviously the production standard is not up there with the movies but I got 10 mins or so into the first episode and it's rad.

Manga and anime recommendations welcome. Shame the Ninja Scroll series was lame. I never really sat down and gave it a go, Skaffen told me it's a bit shit so I have better things to do with my time unless someone tells me it's worth watching.

Dudes I got my kids into comics. Both are currently on Sonic the Hedgehog comics, the 4 year old wants to collect Transformers comics. When the 11 year old is having his swimming lesson, me and the young bloke sit in the cafe there, I get a latte and read him Sonic comics (with some adaptation and summarisation for clarity's sake.) We both really enjoy it, and he walks around the house with his sonic comics in their plastic sleeves. Today he got his mum to put up a motorbike poster in his room. He's 4 going on 17.

11:43 pm  
Blogger stompbox said...

The boys and I watched Naruto (english dubbed) eps 1 and 2 this morning, it's great.

2:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home