Friday, September 02, 2005

ROME

The Sopranos was like The Godfather, Deadwood a western, ROME is the equivalent for The Gladiator. Get on the bandwagon now, episode one only screened in the US a few days ago and the HDTV avi is out on the torrent sites. I only wish I had got on board with Deadwood at episode 1, but I guess I can catch up on DVD like I am with The Shield.

The wife and I are only halfway thru episode 1 of ROME (1 hour eps, YAY!) and it's instantly a new favourite. "Visceral" is a good word for it. Violence, fucking, and while you can hardly call it "realistic" when they speak with various English accents, it's "rich" - as fuck. The HDTV rip is better than my TV reception, I notice some frame "stutter" in the title sequence but only because I'm looking for it, it's certainly not an issue during the show, and running the sound out of the PC into a stereo it sounds better than my TV. Old news to you guys who probably use your PCs as a media center already, but exciting for me to have a new weekly show to watch on the PC setup.

To be added
- LOST season 2 when it starts in the US, no doubt months before here
- SOPRANOS next and probably final season
- please help me build on this list of quality downloadable TV

8 Comments:

Blogger skaffen said...

Firefly

Trust me, you too will be spewing they cancelled the series and will be hanging on to your nuts for the movie.

4:28 am  
Blogger eightball said...

Of course I'm going to say Top Gear I damn well love that show...

I downloaded Rome (once again I have the patience of a 6yo on Xmas Eve)

I saw a couple of episodes of 'House' that wasn't too bad.

9:18 am  
Blogger stompbox said...

Skaffen Serenity is the forthcoming movie right? I'll go look for the Firefly series now. Why don't you reply to emails anymore? Use my tpg address, dodo one is long dead.

8ball what did you think of ROME? I'm only halfway thru it and love it already. I loved picturebooks in primary school with medieval castles and all that of course, but the pictures of Roman soldiers in formation with those turtle shell shields, camp setups and road construction were particularly fascinating to me. Those dudes didn't just ride in and trash your village, they made a road to get there, marched in formation by the 1000s, set up "camps" like cities and systematically destroyed everything around them. Not to mention the Asterix comic books...

House I haven;t watched, looks ok from the ads but I think it's on the same time as my wife's shows on Channel 2.

We tried out the pilot of Numbers but it's shit.

1:48 pm  
Blogger eightball said...

yeah that Numbers show is shit, & if you watch Spicks & Specks or something on the ABC on Wednesday you'll miss House, but I figure I might start downloading it as it's a half decent show & should be freely available online.

Lol at your descrition of the Roman war machine. it's true.

They didn't just beat your ass, they built roads to you, beat your ass & then gave you a fully functioning plumbing system with hot & cold running water & flushing toilets to undoubtably drive it home that you were fucked from the very beginning..

all that said I haven't started watching it yet, goign to try & squeeze it in with the missus over the weekend..

then we might watch Rome

BUHAHHAHAA...

ps. Watch Tombstone if you haven't already, it's pretty good

2:15 pm  
Blogger stompbox said...

Haven't got around to Tombstone yet but took a punt and got ep 1 of Firefly down and watched it with the wife - she actually didn't mind it, and it looks like for now we are watching Firefly on Saturdays instead of that shocking show "Hustle" on ABC.

5:33 pm  
Blogger stompbox said...

ROME ep 2 is up, ROME addicts
One torrent had 2000 seeding and 2000 peers. YAY!

8:31 pm  
Blogger eightball said...

Watched both episodes over the weekend, this show rocks. A series based around fighting, rooting & drinking.

It's like Lord St but with fighting & rooting

2:42 pm  
Blogger stompbox said...

EP1 was cool, Ep2 was awesome. Ep3 is taking a looooong time to download for some wierd reason.

Anyway I spotted another show on torrentspy, "WANTED". Ep7 or so has just gone up. I googled it and it's apparently a gritty cop show about an elite squad formed to catch the top 100 crims in the city or some shit. Sounds right up my alley, I love The Shield.

4:46 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home