Friday, June 24, 2005

Watched SAW

I hired it for nightshift and actually got a bit excited thinking it might be cool. When I put it on I got a sinking feeling, that I might really like it and have to eat shit. Trying to be objective, I was quite disappointed.

The short review: Don't bother hiring it. Honestly. Get the Texas Chainsaw remake or something, at least that has a hot chick. SAW looks like a made-for-TV film, and a shitty one at that.

The longer review, no spoilers: It's quite self concious, the camera work sucks ass when they try to get all "spun out". Well, they over use the "camera spins around the subject" shot, so I guess that could be blamed on the editor too. The acting is often just not good enough, and the script is pretty bad. It stalls badly halfway through and runs on the spot for 20 minutes, and then just gets dumb. Trying to be clever, there's so many flashbacks it loses track of itself, and the "revelations" and the end made me roll my eyes and shake my head through the last 15 minutes. Parts that were meant to be shocking were so lame I was wincing at the crapness. Honestly it's really cheesy.

10 minutes in I realised that the hype about these two kids who made a film is just that, hype, and instead of being in relation to how good the film is, the hype is a completely seperate event. The film didn't have to be good, it just had to exist. I guess the film festival circuit has to have films to screen, and the associated media has to say something.

I'm not angry, just really let down. If this film was rad I'd be mad and jealous. Instead I feel quite sad. I guess people are just stupid. If someone tells you they like this film, they probably think "The Blair Witch 2 - Book of Shadows" was "interesting".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home