Thursday, November 04, 2004

Crap Logo, Crap Name but oh my god........

"

Stomp, have you heard these guys? if not WHY NOT. if you have WHY HAVEN'T YOU TOLD ME? I picked up the name from a forum thread on the new 'the Haunted' album (old singer back but apparently they still suck a fair bit, haven't heard it yet. I'll reserve judgement till I do)

People were basically saying, The Haunted suck now, thankfully we've still got Dew Scented. I grabbed their first album having no idea who they were. (after thinking what a stupid fucking name for a thrash band)

Fast, technical thrash in the 'fuck we love Slayer' realm. Vocals are pretty good, not to modern but not as straightforward catchy as Tom Araya (you know what I mean) but they aren't as shitty modern as everything the Haunted's done since the first album. Riffs & drums are just pure 80's thrash for the 00's ie: FUCKING FAST

I'm ranting cause I'm happy. Skaffen this will make Sydney Public Transport bearable. email me & I'll hook you up.

ps. The website is linked purely cause thats what you're meant to do.

4 Comments:

Blogger stompbox said...

Your post made me fill my pants with something Dew Scented. I cannot wait to hear this.

I have heard the name but avoided all posts which mentioned it, assuming it was Swedish Melodic Death.

Another band people rave about is Hypnos(?) A savage early thrash attack (I'm told) in the vein of fast early Kreator and other bands too cool for me to even have heard of. Plus I have FARSCAPE's DEMON MASSACRE, like early (first 2 albums) Slayer harsh radness with second 2 albums songwriting.

6:39 pm  
Blogger eightball said...

awesome, I will endevour to get some stuff from those bands as well, then I can repay your metal MP3 collections.

I listened to the whole first Dew Scented album & didn't get bored. For me that is HUGE at the moment.

Also on the playlist is High on Fire which I know Stomps heard of (& have problaby heard.) The second album 'surrounded by thieves' not only conjures up some fantastic D&D mid-campaign imagery. But sounds pretty good as well.

Think a mix of Kyuss riffs (the dronier, galloping rhythmic ones) with Motorhead played by people who have only heard about Motorhead or maybe heard Ace of Spades being played in a pub once.

7:49 pm  
Blogger stompbox said...

I like High on Fire, put me down for that one.
I think the thrash band is Hypnosia, I'm mixing it up with a death metal band Hypnos. But I'll let you know when I sort that out.

Bands people rave about which I've never heard, both on Relapse, include Mastadon and Today is the Day. Avoid Zeke, they suck. Hyped as stoner/70s/motorhead etc, they are however fucking pox.

I've been listening to not much actually, but when I do some extreme grind like Discordance Axis (big inspiration for local band The Kill who rule) and Kill the Client, which is like a modern day Brutal Truth in that they sound as extreme, hard for your ears to keep up with, fresh and fucking savage as Brutal Truth sounded in 93. Also new Cerebral Turbulency EP Point of Error is cool. I like grind when it's either hilariously gorey and sloppy, like a yodelling bum hole, or fast tech and insane, with riffs that stop on a dime. Agents of Abhorrence are another local band playing that style (and tech as fuck) - we need to go see them.

8:53 am  
Blogger eightball said...

I've had a track on an Amphetamine Reptile compilation for ages by Today is the Day. It could just be that it starts out with a Goodfella's sample but it is FUCKING AWESOME (especially for it's time, I think it's about 97) However I've listened to some of their other stuff & it's all shit. I think I just need to track down that 1 album & be done with them.

Mastodon are all the rage at the moment, ex-members of today is the day. I downloaded their 2 albums cuase I read some good stuff about them. (were labeled big & thrashy with Slayer-esque vocals) Holy shit I think, this could be AWESOME...

It's not, it's crap & boring.

I love seeing grind live, but I generally don't listen to it on CD.

I think grind really needs beer

9:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home