Sunday, January 20, 2008

Stephen Donaldson's word of the day - IT'S BACK ! !

Book 2 of The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant is out, I booked it at the library while they were still putting stickers on it, and cracked the cover on it this morning.

I was excited by the map, read "What has gone before", which summarises all 7 preceeding books (not including that extra book, the short one just about the Bloodguard's quest, book 4.5 or something)

Anyway, here's me completely forgotten about the SD word of the day I blogged throughout reading book 1 of this new series, and I get to the story itself.

First sentence. That's right baby. Steve's back, he know's you've missed him, and he's bringing out the big guns in the very first sentence of his new book.

COIGN

To add insult to injury, this is actually the archaic spelling of "quoin", another obscure word, which means a sticky out corner bit of a castle wall. Or some shit. Making "coign" a strong start, and excusing the fact that it is only one syllable.

Stay tuned.

PS: HERE's the post re: Book 1.

Indefeasible? Gelid? Evinced with roborant spilth, make no mistake about that!

5 Comments:

Blogger eightball said...

Haha, I remember SD's Word of the Day. can't wait for more classic 75c words to drop into casual conversation about castles

7:56 pm  
Blogger stompbox said...

Day 2: "Persipience"

I know, you think you've heard it before. "Shut up man, that's a real word, I read it all the time."

I put it to you that YOU ARE WRONG. It sounds like a word, it sounds like about 3 words, but WTF does it mean? Bullshit SD!! BULLSHIT!!

12:55 am  
Blogger stompbox said...

Day 2
I'm having to use makeshift paper bookmarks to keep track, SD's gone off the rails dudes:

- paean, lambent, aubade, ALL IN THE SAME SENTENCE!!
- chary
- caliginous
- labile
- etiolated
- adumbrating

11:49 pm  
Blogger eightball said...

Work it SD work it... Front up like you mean it beeeeotch. get all up in that calignous's grill.

4:49 pm  
Blogger stompbox said...

I had to return the book for a week because some knobjockey reserved it at the library.

Anyway I got it back and while there have been words-of-the-day aplenty, I became a bit dispondent and stopped posting them, because nothing seemed to be happening in the fucking book. 400pages, nearly half the novel, something finally does. sheesh

It is a good read, I guess, it's kind of a guilty pleasure and sometimes almost a chore. I think nostalgia for the early books I read as a kid is definately keeping me going, I wouldn't let any other author get away with this, and I have a habit of dumping books halfway through if they are not rewarding. There's plenty of books out there let's face it.

So SD fans get into this new series by all means, but do not go the just plain stupid route uncle Skaffen is planning, "I'll stockpile all 47 books and read them one after another." You will end up throwing yourself off a bridge dude. You NEED 10 year gaps between chunks of SD novels. Or strong anti-depressants.

I just feel a bit ripped off that I had these books so built up in my mind but they are good yes but mind blowing, nope.

The wierd way he describes stuff does give it that cool SD feel, better than most fantasy (which I can't stomach.)

There's a lot of bloody hand wringing tho, this guy should do a soap opera.

2:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home