Monday, December 03, 2007

Breakdown of the Relationship - Part 5

Awww sheesh, I'm having no damn luck... getting Win98 running on the machine was a cinch, however getting mame going has proven a nightmare.

The onboard graphics card is in the free pc, how shall we put it... shitfull

I know we don't need a super cool graphics card to play MAME, & after a bit of fooling about I got R Type 2 running fine (not having sound drivers was causing alot of the drama of stuff running slow) but on the old graphics card it would REFUSE to go fullscreen. just flat out refuse.

OK no drama, start digging for old PCI graphics cards & come up with 2

plug 1 in, & get it going. however somewhere along the line this card has stopped showing the colour red..... no amount of trying to blow dust off it or trying different drivers will help...

Card number 2, & really shitty old Trident card, I manage to get some drivers for it & cross my fingers. no dice. drivers aren't right & it completely throws windows into a barney...

Now after a weekend of swapping between all these cards & shit (I mean seriously, I was swapping cards out every 5 mins) I decide to fuck win98 off & try it all with DOS

Boot machine, hear monitor kick in.... nothing on screen, swap card and
Boot machine, hear monitor kick in.... nothing on screen, swap card and
Boot machine, hear monitor kick in.... nothing on screen, swap card and
Boot machine, hear monitor kick in.... nothing on screen, swap card and
Boot machine, hear monitor kick in.... nothing on screen, swap card and
Kick machine & storm upstairs....

I knew there was a reason I swore off old hardware 18 months ago...

So now I don't know what's going on, either I've fucked the free machine or I'm hoping that when I go back in 12hours time I boot & it forgets it's a fuckstick & just boots normally.

Overall I'm getting a bit jack of it, & rightly so Mel is getting pissed off with me spending hours downstairs trying to get it going..

Problem is, when I have an issue like this. I'm like a dog with a bone I CAN'T not get it working. it annoys the piss out of me & I can't think straight till I've solved the problem or smashed the shit out of whatever's causing it.

Stay tuned.. probably for smashing.. followed by spending

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home