Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Breakdown of the Relationship - Part 2

Well I'm getting amped about this now, there's something about the weather getting good & us having had a couple of BBQ's already that shows me just how essential it is to have a MAME cabinet sitting downstairs to entertain the kids & settle arguments..

I gathered all my hardware together.

a 19" monitor I snagged from work for free ages ago, works a treat although it's a touch small.. more on that later

the X-Arcade controller, it's been gathering dust for a year... but soon my dear... soon.

& I dragged the intended PC out from the depths of the house last night, this was a 'do you want it, I'm gonna throw it out' machine.

The first test was to fire up teh PC & the monitor & see how everything works.

Monitor, works a treat. I thought there was some burn in issues, but I couldn't spot them last night, however I have another slight problem because I accidently scored this



21" monitor on ebay, for $20 pickup from 5 min's from my house...

So I'm sorted for monitors, & Stomp problaby scores a free 19" to use as a second monitor cause I don't want the bloody thing laying about.

The problem now is the PC, I fired it up thinking it was a 450mhz something or other... no dice.

166mhz, 1 GB drive & 48MB RAM. no PS2 keyboard or mouse ports. struggling like an asshole to run win2K... it takes 10 mins to boot (true story) & 15 mins to run Mame32 & once that's up it wont even run galaga...

I could problaby reinstall the OS to something a bit more suited to it like win98se & get it running the earlier games (I dont think it will ever run any of the 90's games like Street Fighter) but at the end of the day I think I'm going to pour way to much time into trying to get this thing running.. so now I have to source another PC.. on a self imposed budget of $50-75

I figure it needs to be at least a 450mhz & located within 10km's of my house... & that's about it

The game begins, eBay... be kind to me baby

1 Comments:

Blogger eightball said...

& for those of you paying attention.. yeah I thought about installing DOS or Linux on the 166mhz PC to try & breathe some live into it, but franky I don't think I can be bothered assing about with learning how to do shit..

If anyone has some suggestions on what to do with a 166mhz pc & a 133mhz pc which both boot (albeit slowly) bring it on.. usually I'd say MAME slave... but I don't think it's worth it..

would they be worth setting up with some barebones linux distro to give to kids to surf the web etc?

you could also justify it giving them to kids in that they wont be able to waste hours playing games cause these things wont run anything that kids of today would be interested in.

9:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home