Sunday, November 14, 2004

Valve - making of Half Life 2 article

You may have heard the Half Life 2 release date has been broken by several retail stores. There's a whole bunch of shit going down with Valve and their Producer, Vivendi, about unlocking the damn thing. Anyway, it's two days away and oddly enough I've gone a bit quiet and am running on a bit of a short fuse :)

Anyway, the title above will take you to a pretty cool article about Valve, Gabe Newell and the Half Life 2 production process. I found it interesting following on from the current EA fiasco as well as some insights into the industry, and what it's like to be working at the front of the gaming industry. They talk about the hacking, Vivendi being cunts, the lot.

3 Comments:

Blogger skaffen said...

And if you, like me, purchased the game online with or without all the extra doodads then you'll probably want to back it up cause the downloads fucking huge.

Go here for dvd/cd covers and case covers along with a handy link to the Steam backup utility. It lets you select what you care about and handily creates a bunch of cd or dvd sized files for you to burn.

Good Valve, good.

8:54 pm  
Blogger stompbox said...

They have a link HEREin that article, I didn't realise the dude who made this face thing worked on Half Life 2. I think I've seen another version of it (same thing, tidier page) where you could turn off "noise" with a checkbox. So the poses are static. Which made me realise the thing making it look so alive is noise or noisy keyframes - if you think of the facial pose as a keyframe, and put noise on that keyframe, it floats a little to either side of the key. Looks pretty good hey. That guy is smart.

7:47 am  
Blogger stompbox said...

Doh actually that is the page, for some reason I remembered it as having a white background. The noise button is there. I like how when you turn noise off it peters out instead of snapping off.

When I finish this freelance gig I want to try a few things, noise on facial animation keys in one of them. Also emulating stop motion look in 3d. Noise on keys comes into play there also, to get that stop motion shudder you see in claymation. Lock the feet keys and throw a little noise on everything else, and a slight rippling bump texture.... shut up, me!

7:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home