Saturday, November 13, 2004

It is time.

I need a new system.

I need it cheap, (sub $500 for case, motherboard, CPU, Ram + (if budget allows) 80GB HDD & further silent cooling.)

I need it to be powerful (but not 'gamer' powerful, more like a video rendering/fileserver workhorse. Lappy will remain day to day machine)

I need it to be quiet (but not 'I spent $1000 on a cooling system quiet, just something I can have running 2 feet away & not hear it)


I will more than likely buy the components from Centrecom (linked above, as this is pretty much the cheapest hardware shop in Melbourne (arguable of course, but it's also close to work)

What this thread is for is basically (like the notebook thread) a sounding board & info resource that people like me & stomp can refer to when we need to upgrade shit.

I think I've decided on an Athlon XP 2600 for $120ish. However AMD Semprons are also cheap but I dont know anything about them, are they powerful or are they more geared towards office-droneware

Also this case looks nice & cheap but still big enough, anyone have a 'how to make your PC quiet on the cheap tutorial handy. or some simple advice?

Motherboards Does this one match with the CPU, I think it does but this shit's confusing when you hvaen't looked at it since you bought a AMD K-6 400. Also I assume the answer is no. But will my pc100 RAM work with it? All this socket 470 & socket A-PooPthangs shit is really dumb. I don't even know what I'm dealing with.

Anyway this is a long & pretty boring post for the most part. But if people with a clue put up info, it will be recorded for eon's & people like us will eventually stop bugging you about this shit.

I added all this stuff up, along with a 'silent cooler' & 80GB drive & cracked jst over the $500 mark, so effectively I think I've found A solution. anyone have ideas how to make it better/cheaper?

Hardcore Geeks, in advance us semi-hard core geeks thankyou

6 Comments:

Blogger eightball said...

Silent PC ReviewHard to get useful info out of it, but still the info's there

4:57 pm  
Blogger stompbox said...

If you are getting a new system for that much I might upgrade when I get paid for this CG gig. Assuming (!) I don't go postal and club client to death with laptop first.

6:54 pm  
Blogger eightball said...

That system relies on the fact that I've already got a video card & DVD burner etc to plug into the box. But a Geforce4 card can be picked up for under $50 & a dual layer DVD burner for under $140. I've also been thinking about quietening the case & will post up some stuff soon

11:09 pm  
Blogger stompbox said...

I'm currently using a fan from a noisy old garbage truck, with vibration set to "disintegrate"

9:57 am  
Blogger eightball said...

I think my current PC fan is one of those ones off a movie set they use to generate wind.

However after having a quick look around some silentPC sites I thought about my current setup (which by no rights should be real quiet) but started thinking about the things that could be generating noise.

Take into account that there are probalby 3 things that can cause noise in a PC case

1. Fans, fans generate noise. However fans are also crucial to your PC not crashing.

2. Vibration, things that spin create vibration, vibration creates noise. This also covers your case in general

3. I can't remember the third.... bugger. Oh well it was something you couldn't do anything about. Oh yeah. device internals. a HDD will generate noise, as will a DVD drive etc. not much you can do here.

K. after thinking about my current setup it was no wonder that my PC is noisy. why?

1. Both my powersupply fan & CPU fan are probably crudded up with dirt, & the CPU fan cost $5. I dont think there's much you can do with a powersupply fan (other than shell out for a new one, which probalby costs a bomb), however for $50 you can get a silent CPU fan or probably even a slightly higher spec one will be signifigantly quieter. My Graphics card is dirt cheap & doesn't have a fan, it's got a heatsink, which means it's not going to perform as well as an expensive one. but heatsinks don't generate noise.

2. My case is a plastic shell over a metal frame, this all attributes to more vibration (I believe), you're probably going to be better off with an all metal case, which you can then dampen/insulate on the inside (more on this when I research it). When I get a new case I'm also considering gluing & strentghening all joins which don't attribute to case access. the less movement in the case, the less noise. This internal insulation will also reduce 'ambient' airflow so a case with an induction & exhaust port is problaby preferable. (although will that just spill more noise??)

3. Drives, Tighten all drives & devices FIRMLY & at all available points. I have not used more than 2 screws attaching any drive to my case & my boot HDD is actually just sitting in there not attached at all. Of course this falls under the realm of DUH! what do you expect, but I've never really thought of this before & thought maybe other people are guilty of skimping on screws attaching stuff that spins at 7200RPM

4. make sure your PC is firmly planted onthe ground/desk once again my PC is precarously balanced (due to complete lack of space) & this problaby also makes everything that little bit quiter.

As I said, most of this stuff is just common sense but it's probably a handy checklist on the way to making your PC quieter without spending too much. I should also mention that none of this has been researched so if it's wrong, I'm not really surprised.

11:20 am  
Blogger eightball said...

Haven't looked at this yet, but I'm hoping it falls into the do this to make your shit quieter more than the buy all this stuff thats expensive category

11:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home