Friday, March 31, 2006

My new phone:



I want one, badly. The whole front of the phone is a crafty display, that shows old skool reels when in music mode etc.



When I went through Japan I spent about 6 hours checking out the phones there. Some were like miniature lambourginis, and others were basically chopsticks. The thing that got me the most about them was the list of technical capabilities often included technology I have only heard of in Iain M Banks novels. Being serious though, they did have designs to address every possible style or aesthetic desire the Japanese could possibly want to carry round and show off, i.e. every 'fashion' invented to date.

What do we get? Grey lumps of shit by Nokia. At least Motorolla are trying I guess.

I often daydream about the 'Sandbenders' Gibson used in I-can't-remember-which-novel. Custom designer made computers for individuals. From what I remember they were a sort of goggle-and-glove system with a CPU worn somewhere on your body?

Anyway, the concept of hand made, one off, designer call-them-what-you-will systems hold a lot of appeal for me. I guess they are kind of case mods, but I imagine phones, iPods, PDAs, Laptops, all of that kind of shit, built by artisans, individual and rad.

2 Comments:

Blogger stompbox said...

... and here we see Wow addiction impairing social skills and rendering the victim unintelligible. Expect to see Skaffen over MSN video chat wearing a cape and a bike helmet with mobile phones superglued to hang down over the ear area.

I think this process we are witnessing is best summed up with a description once used regarding Michael Jackson: Skaffen's life is becoming an existential train wreck.

12:14 pm  
Blogger eightball said...

I think i'm coming down with some pretty gnarly viral headcold, all day I've been walking around feeling like I've drunk 14 coffee's when I've really only drunk 3. I've been having cold sweats & felt like I was going to fall over at any second.

That phone is the only thing thats made sense all day......


That and the Word Verification image
'cjvmgco'
Too right my man, too right

4:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home