Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Running apps from USB key storage?

I'm not supposed to take my laptop in to nightshift anymore - anyway I've been wondering, and today saw the new Verbatim 2.1Gig USB Sttore'n'Go in Atomic, and thought I'd ask you dorks:

If I install an app, say Lightwave or something, to a USB memory key (even a 216Meg or whatever) could I plug that into the work PC and run the app from the key? I don't mind if it's sluggish, as long as it works.

The 2.1gig store'n'go sounds fun, it has a 4200 RPM microdrive. They go for $200. If I picked one up when I get paid out for this 3D gig, would I be able to load one of those puppies up with games and apps and run them on the work PC on nightshift?

2 Comments:

Blogger stompbox said...

To clarify, I cant install stuff to the work pc directly.

10:52 am  
Blogger monkeypox said...

If the app needs to install any DLLs into system folders and expects them to be there then it probably won't work. If it needs to write to the registry you could also have problems. If it doesn't and everything it uses is stored in its own directory then it should just work, but disk access might be slow. The best bet is just try and see, if you have a key to test with.

11:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home