Friday, October 15, 2004

Think Tank

Waiting for the laptop to render I thought I'd put this out there:
I was talking to Skaffen earlier tonight about wanting to set up a wireless network, with a router on the desktop machine for broadband internet. (Please bear with me I don't know what I'm talking about.) Anyway if anyone has any bright ideas please sing out, regarding ISP, what router/modem thong to get, etc.

I think rather than a render farm type deal, it would be better if I could work on the laptop, then see the desktop in a window and drive it from the laptop. It would be really sweet if a shared folder or something updated itself or had an update button I could hit, and then tell the desktop to calculate dynamics or render, which is where my bottle neck is happening. I dont want to share processor grunt between machines, just have the desktop slaved to do all the grunt work for the laptop.

Then I don't really need to worry about upgrading the desktop processor for a while, nor RAM for either machine - this would do fine for now and I'll have a mean one-man-band 3D setup. Also have desktop doing all peer-to-peer download action.

Another thing I'm wondering is can you set it up so the router is on, the desktop is off, and you turn the desktop machine on remotely from the laptop? That would fucking rule. I would feel like I was on Blakes 7. Also do you guys use quiet fans? My desktop fan is fucking loud. I think that machine doesn't need a hardware upgrade as such but a rethought fan setup, seperate router thing so PC can be off but router on, and a DVD burner. Yum.

Let me pre-empt Skaffen's reply of "get fucked, cunt" and eightball's "you should install a vibrator" so we can cut straight to the sensible talk like grown-ups. Thankyou.

6 Comments:

Blogger monkeypox said...

With regards to the router gear - I'm pretty happy with linksys for the wired stuff. I'm not too sure on their wireless gear.
Try www.auspcmarket.com.au and scorptec for good fans and shit. AusPCMarket includes postage, so the prices aren't really as high as they appear.
The 400W FSP variable speed fan/quiet power supply I just got from APCM.

12:57 pm  
Blogger eightball said...

the netgear wireless router & PC card I got, rock HARD. although to be honest spend the bucks & get the faster versions (which are problaby standard now I think I got 56poopoo's or something).

as far as remote terminal stuff, VNC will problaby work a treat.

This shits super easy to set up. & wireless broadband on the lappy is too fucking cool

4:25 pm  
Blogger skaffen said...

Get fucked, cu... ah fuck ya.

Yeah, You could use VNC as remote access to your desktop, alternatively we can just configure up Terminal Services (Windows remote desktop) and you're laughing.

As far as remote power control, you can enable 'wake-on-lan' real easy, but I don't know how that would go for wirless NICs. That said, you're probably not going to have the desktop wireless are you, just the lappy, so I should shut the fuck up.

For ADSL plans and hardware reviews Whirlpool would be the best place to start. I know it's a bit of effort to slog through forums etc, but the people I know who haven't done their research (i.e. my housemate) have locked themselves into 3 or 6 months minimum of expensively shit service. We lose connectivity every two or three days and they're charging the fucking pants off him.

We've had ongoing difficulties with your pc fan pumping out sound for a while now. I'll have a look again when I'm down and try to figure out which one it is this time. We can replace to our hearts content, but we can also look into hiding the fucker somewhere if you're going to wireless it up and not use it locally. I'm about to kit myself out with one of these from Zalman, or something similar (Posted this ages ago too). But then I am a rampant fucking idiot :)

7:28 pm  
Blogger stompbox said...

Sweet.
Saw Dad last night (Noah took a swing at him at one stage, but came around in the end). Skaffen, Dad reckons to talk to you about putting an Athlon in the desktop. I thought that was some sort of hybrid road/mountain bike?

We can't really stash the desktop box because I will still use it, probably a lot more if it's networked. I don't use t much at the moment because I have to burn any work to CD to go back and forth. Lightwave has 2 parts, Modeler and Layout, with a Hub which talks between them (updating your scene when you work on the model etc.) I wonder if the hub would work over a network? Probably not, best to just save and port across.

7:16 am  
Blogger stompbox said...

Skaffen I cant wait till you get here and have stern words with my laptop. Sitting "idle" it sounds like it's fucking rendering or some shit, and sure enough it's using anywhere up to 30% CPU. I would start shutting down processes but you can bet $50 the whole thing would promptly fall over in the middle of this freelance gig, and stay dead.

7:51 am  
Blogger stompbox said...

It's like a pet cat - I'm looking at it sitting there with no apps running, and it turns its nose up at me and says "fuck you, I'm busy. Come back later." It could get a job as a door bitch.

7:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home