Thursday, September 02, 2004

What weird shit have you read recently?

I just ordered in, bought and began reading "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time." I don't remember where I first heard about it. If you can't be bothered checking the links: it's a book written from the perspective of a kid with Asperger's syndrome, which is a form of autism that seems to focus on the fact that the individual doesn't have the ability to interpret the meaning of facial expressions among other things we take for granted. (This is not an accurate, medically sound description, just what I gathered that got me interested enough to read it.)

What have you lot have been reading recently that you normally wouldn't? Every once in a while I seem to randomly pick something up that isn't sci-fi and get a real kick out of it. For example Stompy put me on to Chuck Palahniuk, who wrote Fight Club, and I have subsequently worked my way through everything he's published. But I don't think I would have ever read him otherwise, so I'm farming your collective nerdbrains for more feed for mine.

2 Comments:

Blogger monkeypox said...

Shit - the last non scifi/fantasy fiction I started was James Joyces' Ulysses. I keep fogetting to finish it. It can be pretty tough going in some bits. Interesting in the level of detail for a single day (down to the main character taking a dump).

9:42 am  
Blogger stompbox said...

I'm about a third of the way through Quicksilver.
Pretty good stuff, I keep laughing and shaking my head at the writer.

I have a lot of sci-fi qued up to read next so I better get out of this thread.

8:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home