Sunday, August 29, 2004

CDisplay & Battle Angel Alita

I learnt something cool about CDisplay today, you can start it up and hit Shift+R and it will go straight to the page you were on when you last shut it down. Also it can read rar and zip archived pics without you needing to extract them first.

I got down the Last Order series which I'm "saving some for later" because I have vol 1 hard copy for later. But I started the extra stories, and they are fucking rad. Awesome stories, like fairy tales sometimes, but with tragedy and shit. This dude was winning awards for his manga when he was 17. The setting is awesome, the characters are awesome, the art is awesome. You get everything. The main character is gorgeous and there are wicked weapons and gadgets. The world is rich and real, with several really well developed settings which the story moves through. Not just big assed eye candy like evil castles and shit. I also love the way he incorporates Japanese martial arts culture into the world of cyborgs. The fights are great, and actually interesting because of all the strategies they use and wierd weapons and styles and shit.

Plus the robots and cyborgs are all rad, and you can't beat motorball. Most manga is pretty shallow, and either serious but lacking substance ("honour compells me to walk the earth kicking ass in astonishing actions scenes") or childish ("I am indignant that males keep looking at my cleavage, grab hold of my umbrella and let's fly around having sci fi adventures"). Battle Angel Alita never disappoints.

If you only ever read one manga in your life, it should be this series.

The extra stories are numbered vol 1, 3 and 4. If any one spots vol 2 anywhere (assuming it exists and they didn't just fuck up the numbering, which is possible as these are I'd imagine collected from other compilation manga) PLEASE let us know.

Also there was an offshoot series ASHEN VICTOR, about a suicidal motorball hero who deliberately crashes every race, and the spectators all plug in to feel it with him. It's pretty dark. I bought an issue or two when they came out but missed the boat with the whole series. It has been released in trade paperback. If anyone spots it online LET US KNOW.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home